My plan, last month, was to start writing blog posts about the preparations needed to take a trip to China. On September 25th, one week from today, we were scheduled to join a twelve day tour with friends of ours. We’d booked this trip through the local Chamber of Commerce back in May, and until three weeks ago we were counting the days.
But, life can change in the blink of an eye. On Tuesday, August 23rd, Jim and I walked across the soccer field to the Hastings Field House to play pickleball, something we’d been doing three or four times a week all summer long. I was feeling fit and strong and happy.
Two hours later I was lying on a bed in the emergency room at our closest hospital. At the time I wasn’t clear how it had happened, but somehow I’d thrown myself off balance while trying to hit a ball, and before I could move an arm or leg to catch myself, I landed on the floor with such force that it knocked the wind out of me. My right hip hurt and I couldn’t put any weight on my leg, but I couldn’t believe that it could possibly be broken, because it didn’t hurt all that much. I sat in a chair and watched while someone else stepped into my place and the game was finished, at my insistence.
However, when they tried to get me into a truck to take me home one movement caused me to gasp and suddenly I had no control over my leg or foot. I had to admit that it was more than just a bruised hip. I was still optimistic, hoping it could be a dislocation that could be easily remedied. Instead of going home, my friend drove me to the hospital while Jim followed in our car. X-rays were taken of my hip and the conclusion wasn’t good – a fracture. They’d hoped to transfer me to Peterborough Hospital for surgery later that day. I had to fast until they learned that it wasn’t going to happen.
It was Thursday morning before I was loaded into a patient transfer wagon for the rough, hour-long trip. At 7:00 that night I met my surgeon outside the Operating Room. I was going to require a whole hip replacement! My optimism went out the door.
I asked if I’d still be able to go to China in a month’s time. One nurse in the Emergency Room had told me that I’d be up walking the day after surgery, after all.
“Not going to happen,” said Dr. Lever. “You would have to have a load of blood thinners on board because of the risk of blood clots, and your extended health insurance wouldn’t cover you if anything happened as a result of this surgery. Do you have cancellation insurance?”
“I’ll sign whatever forms you need to get your refund.”
“We usually leave for Arizona the middle of October, in the motor home.”
“Sorry, I don’t recommend that either. You should stick close to home until your full twelve-week recovery period is up, for the same reasons.”
As they rolled me into the operating room, just before the anesthesiologist did his job, a few tears escaped from my eyes.
The Emergency Room nurse was right – I was up walking with a walker the next day, but it was obvious that there was no way I’d be ready to do any hiking in China in just four weeks, other risks or not.
By Sunday I was out of hospital and on the road to recovery, but instead of completing preparations for our trip to China, I’ve been filling out forms to get a refund for it through our Cancellation Insurance, and cancelling the extended health insurance. We will also have to adjust our insurance and our arrival dates for Arizona, but we will go. And maybe next year we’ll go to China.
Things work out the way they are supposed to. The new hip will make you even more fit and stronger. Sorry the trip to Arizona is delayed, but glad you’re still going. China will still be there when you are ready to go. Glad you are recovering well.
All true, Christine. China is behind us for now. Looking forward to Arizona. Every week I pass another milestone in my recovery.😀 Maybe we’ll get down that way to connect once more with friends and family, in October or early November.
Judy: My hubby and I also had to cancel a trip due to unexpected health issues. Taking care of ourselves comes first but it is still disappointing. Glad to read that you are looking to next year to plan the cancelled trip. Take care of yourself.
Thanks, Lillie. The chances of health issues changing our plans increase with age, but we can’t give up.😀
I am amazed at how quickly Judy is healing and getting around. She has gone back to the Field House twice now and each time she has been able to walk the 660 feet around the walking track. She is going to try the cane tomorrow instead of the walker.
Thanks.😀Hope to give it a try, with your help, as suggested by the physiotherapist.
So sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you are are out of the hospital. We hope your recovery goes well.
Thanks, Mary Ann. I’m done my three weeks so far and doing well. We hope to be back on the road by November 25th.
Oh wow Judy! Take care of yourself. You and Jim will have to have a different kind of adventure this year but you’ll be back at it next year. You probably missed seeing snow anyway! ;). Kris and Rob Chappell
Thanks, Kris, but no we don’t miss the snow. Unless there is a major snow storm before we can get out of here the end of November, we’ll still be going to Arizona!
So sorry to hear about the emergency results, Judy. Must be a real disappointment but I admire your positive attitude to the future. Enjoy your earlier visit to Arizona.
Thanks, Helen. It was disappointing for sure, but now I’m just anxious to be able to get active again.😀 We hope to leave for Arizona on or soon after November 25th.